Evidence of Influence
CATE is internationally recognized for its expertise and the quality of its research output. We work as advisors to a number of governmental organizations including:
- International Civil Aviation Organization
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- World Meteorological Association
- European Commissions
- UK Government
- US Federal Aviation Administration
- Civil Aviation Administration of China
CATE has been a major partner in all key EU aviation and environment multi-sectoral networks addressing climate change, airport air quality and noise. Its staff are current or past members of a number of national and international working parties such as:
- ICAO’s Committee for Aviation Environmental Protection (CAEP)
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). Subsidiary Body on Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA).
- World Meteorological Organisation…
- Airports Council International WORLD Standing Committee on the Environment.
- Airports Council International Europe Environmental Strategy Committee
- International Air Transport Association Environmental Taskforce (ENTAF)
- EC Action Programme NOPHER – noise pollution health effects reduction
- Add more for Lee, Raper, Hume, Hooper starting international and moving down to national
- ACI EUROPE Airport Carbon Accreditation Board
- World Economic Forum Advisory Group on Sustainable Aviation
- EC Task Force for a study of the impact of air transport on the environment (1996 – 1997)
- European Working Party to improve the environmental performance of aviation (CEFA).
- UK Government DETR Aviation and Airports Policy Advisory Group.
- UK Government DETR Aircraft Noise and Sleep Working Party.
- UK Department of Transport RUCATSE Noise Subgroup
- UK Noise and Emissions Steering Group reporting to CAEP, ICAO, Montreal
- UK Airport Operators Association Environment Committee
- ICBEN (International Commission on the Biological Effects of Noise)
- World Economic Forum Stakeholder Advisory Group, (on Sustainable aviation).
- Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of pollution
- NW Water
- National Power
CATE also has active links throughout the World Universities, airports, airlines, ATM, Government and NGO organizations. (See Partners page of the Website)
- Four staff from CATE were lead authors of the seminal UN INtergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 1999 report on Aviation and the Global Atmosphere and as such co-recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize.
- In 2006, CATE was awarded £5 million to lead a consortium of top UK Universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Reading, Cranfield, loughborough, Sheffield, Leeds and Southamption) to work with industry and regulators to deliver sustainability for UK aviation. OMEGA links with the US PARTNER programme and ECATS in Europe
- CATE to provided advice and technical support on climate change issues for UK Government Departments (DEFRA, DECC, DfT,Office of the Prime Minister) and supports their technical inputs to the International Civil Aviation Organization and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
- CATE was the only academic institution represented on the UK Department for Transport Future of Aviation White Paper Policy Advisory Group
- CATE led one of the three Air Quality Panels for the UK Department of Transport (and contributed to another) in order to review the impact of airport related emissions on air quality around Heathrow Airport.
- CATE research underpins the control of night flying at UK airports and the regulation of noise at Northern Ireland Airports