I am Professor of Atmospheric Science and Director, Centre for Aviation, Transport, and the Environment (CATE), a premium research group within Manchester Metropolitan University. My background is in atmospheric science, and I have specialized in climate science for the last 12 years. I have considerable scientific project and personnel management experience, and have led large multi-institutional projects. I have a strong interest and skills in developing links between science and policy, and work at an international level.
|Dates||June 2003 – Now|
|Occupation or position held||Director|
|Main activities and responsibilities||Leads a research group of ~20 including academics, post-doctoral researchers, PhD students, and administrators.|
|Name and address of employer||Centre for Aviation, Transport and the Environment, Manchester|
|Occupation or position held||Visiting Professor of Atmospheric Science|
|Name and address of employer||Manchester Metropolitan University|
|Dates||2001 – March 2003|
|Occupation or position held||Technology Chief (equivalent to Civil Service G6).|
|Main activities and responsibilities||One of two Technical Chiefs within the Combustion and Environment Group of the Centre for Aerospace Technology over 5 Technical Team Leaders.|
|Name and address of employer||(formerly the Defence Evaluation and Research Agency).|
|Dates||1998 – 2000|
|Occupation or position held||Principal Scientist (G7) and Head of Atmospheric Processes Group|
|Main activities and responsibilities||One of five Technical Leaders that manage the Combustion and Environment Group comprising ~50 people. Responsible for strategic development of the Group’s expertise and its application in scientific research.|
|Name and address of employer||Defence Evaluation and Research Agency (DERA)|
|Dates||1991 – 1998|
|Occupation or position held||Principal Scientific Officer (G7)|
|Main activities and responsibilities||Various projects relating to atmospheric contaminants including: global and regional emissions inventories; impacts of aircraft on the global troposphere; Lagrangian trajectory model development; effects of ozone on materials; emission measurements of livestock and waste storage units; trace gas measurements of inorganic species and metals; sources and fates of base cations; modelling of orographic enhancement of wet deposition; deposition of ammonia to sea-water; atmospheric trace metal trend analysis; transport mechanisms of dioxins. Secondment to Department of the Environment, Air Quality Division. Member of Government Review Groups on Acid Rain, Photochemical Oxidants, and Impacts of Nitrogen Deposition|
|Name and address of employer||United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority (latterly AEA Technology)|
|Dates||1985 – 1990|
|Occupation or position held||Co-founder of research unit within the Department of Environmental and Geographical Sciences|
|Main activities and responsibilities||Responsible for the scientific management and development of an urban acid deposition research programme|
|Name and address of employer||ARIC, Manchester Polytechnic|
|Dates||1984 – 1988|
|Title of qualification awarded||Bsc (Hons) Environmental Studies/Biology|
|Principal subjects / occupational skills covered||Manchester Polytechnic|
|Title of qualification awarded||Doctorate|
|Principal subjects / occupational skills covered||Spatial and temporal variability of acidic deposition over Greater Manchester|
• Visiting Fellow, University of Oxford: Atmospheric, Oceanic and Planetary Physics Department, July 2006 to present
• Expert Advisor to the UK Committee on Climate Change (2009 to 2010, aviation report)
• Rapporteur to World Meteorological Organization, ‘Aviation and the Environment’, (2006 to 2009)
• Lead Author, IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (2010 on), Fourth Assessment Report (2004 to 2007) Greenhouse Guidebook (2004 to 2006), Aviation Special Report (1997 to 1999).
• Member of Dft Heathrow Air Quality Panel Group 1 – Modelling (2004 to 2007)
• EPSRC Peer Review College 2003 – 2005
• NERC Peer Review College 2007 to 2009
• Member of ICAO Committee on Aviation and Environmental Protection – Working Group 3 (emissions) Modelling and Database Task Force, Forecasting and Economic Support Group
• Co-Rapporteur, Impacts and Science Group, ICAO CAEP
• Member of UK Technical Team for ICAO CAEP
• Visiting Scientist to DLR Institute for Atmospheric Physics, Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
• Member of UK Review Group on Photochemical Oxidants (1994–1998)
• Member of UK Review Group on Acid Rain (1988¬–1997)
• Member of UK Review Group on Impacts of Nitrogen Deposition (1992–1994)
Watson P. A. G., Karoly D. J., Allen M. R., Faull N. and Lee D. S. (2012) Quantifying uncertainty in future Southern Hemisphere circulation trends. Geophysical Research Letters (submitted)
Khodayari A., Wuebbles D. J., Olsen S., Fuglestvedt J. S., Berntsen T., Lund M. T., Waitz I., Wolfe P., Forster P. M., Meinshausen M., Lee D. S., Lim, L. (2012) Intercomparison and evaluation of the capabilities of simplified climate models to project the effects of aviation on climate. Climatic Change (submitted).
Frömming C., Ponater M., Dahlmann K., Grewe V., Lee D. S., Sausen R. (2012) Climate impact of air traffic emissions in dependency of the emission altitude. Journal of Geophysical Research (Atmospheres).
Lund M. T., Eyring V., Fuglestvedt J., Hendricks J., Lauer A., Lee D. S., Righi M. (2012) Global mean temperature change from shipping towards 2050: improved representation of the indirect aerosol effect in simple climate models. Environmental Science and Technology (accepted).
Christie S., Raper D., Lee D. S, Williams P. I., Rye L., Blakey S., Wilson C. W. W, Lobo P., Hagen D., Whitefield P. D. (2012) Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon emissions from the combustion of alternative fuels in a gas turbine engine. Environmental Science and Technology 46, 6393 – 6400.
Preston H., Lee D. S., Hooper, P. D. (2012) The inclusion of the aviation sector within the European Union’s Emissions Trading Scheme: what are the prospects for a more sustainable aviation industry? Environmental Development 2, 48 – 56
Rodriguez-Leon R., Krämer M., Lee D. S., Thelen J. C. (2011) Sensitivity of radiative properties of persistent contrails to the ice water path. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (accepted).
Lamarque J.-F., Bond T. C., Eyring V., Granier C., Heill A., Klimont Z., Lee D. S., Liousse C., Mie A., Owen B., Schultz M. G., Shindell D., Smith S. J., Stehfest E., Van Aardenne J., Cooper O. R., Kainuma M., Mahowald N., McConnell J. R., Naik V., Riahi K., van Vuuren D. P. (2010) Historical (1850 – 2000) gridded anthropogenic and biomass burning emissions of reactive gases and aerosols: methodology and application. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10, 7017–7039.
Owen B., Lee D. S., Lim L. L. (2010) Flying into the future: aviation emission scenarios to 2050. Environmental Science and Technology 44, 2255–2260.
Fuglestvedt J. S., Berntsen T., Eyring V., Isaksen I., Lee D. S., Sausen R. (2009) Shipping emissions: from cooling to warming of climate – and reducing impacts on health. Environmental Science and Technology 43, 9057–9062.
Fuglestvedt J. S., Shine K. P., Cook J., Berntsen T., Lee D. S., Stenke A., Skeie R. B., Velders G. J. M. and Waitz I. A. (2010) Transport impacts on atmosphere and climate: Metrics. Atmospheric Environment, 44, 4648–4677.
Lee D. S., Pitari G., Grewe, V., Gierens K., Penner J. E., Petzold A., Prather M., Schumann U., Bais A., Berntsen T., Iachetti D., Lim L. L. and Sausen R. (2010) Transport impacts on atmosphere and climate: Aviation. Atmospheric Environment 44, 4678–4734.
Lee D. S., Fahey D., Forster, P., Newton P. J., Wit, R. C. N., Lim L. L., Owen B., and Sausen R. (2009) Aviation and global climate change in the 21st century. Atmospheric Environment 43, 3520–3537.
Holland M., Haydock H., Cape J. N., Leith I. D., Lewis P. M., Falla N. R. A., Mower K. G., Derwent R. G. and Lee D. S. (2007) Ozone damage to paint and rubber goods in the UK. Pollution Atmospherique, Octobre, 2007 73–86.
Mitchell J., Slingo J., Lee D. S., Lowe J. and Pope, V. (2007) Climate change: response to Carter et al. World Economics 8, 221–228.
Gauss M., Isaksen I. S. A., Lee D. S. and Søvde O. A. (2006) Impact of aircraft NOx emissions on the atmosphere, tradeoffs to reduce the impact – a 3D CTM study. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 6, 1529 – 1548
Stordal F., Myhre G., Stordal E. J. G., Rossow W. B., Lee D. S., Arlander D. W. and Svenby T. (2005) Is there a trend in cirrus cloud cover due to aircraft traffic? Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 5, 2155 – 2162.
Sausen R., Isaksen I., Grewe V., Hauglustaine D., Lee D. S., Myhre G., Köhler M. O., Pitari G., Schumann U., Stordal F. and Zerefos C. (2005) Aviation radiative forcing in 2000: and update on IPCC (1999). Meteorologische Zeitschrift 114, 555 – 561.
Fichter C., Marquart S., Sausen R. and Lee D. S. (2005) The impact of cruise altitude on contrails and related radiative forcing. Meteorologische Zeitschrift 114, 563 – 572.
Scholtens R., Dore C. J., Jones B. M. R., Lee D. S., Phillips V. R. (2004) Measuring ammonia emission rates from livestock buildings and manure stores – part I: development and validation of external tracer ratio, internal tracer ratio and passive flux sampling methods. Atmospheric Environment 38, 3003 – 3015.
Rogers H. L., Lee D. S., Raper D. W., de Forster P. M., Wilson C. W. and Newton P. J. (2002) The impacts of aviation on the atmosphere. The Aeronautical Journal October 2002, 521–546.
Lee D. S., Brunner B., Döpelheuer A., Falk R. S., Gardner R. M., Lecht M., Leech M., Lister D. H. and Newton P. J. (2002) Aviation emissions: present-day and future. Meteorologische Zeitschrift 11, 141–150.
Grewe V., Dameris M., Fichter C. and Lee D. S. (2002) Impact of aircraft NOx emissions. Part 2: effects of lowering the flight altitude. Meteorologishe Zeitschrift 11, 197-205.
Lee D. S., Fowler D. and Nemitz E. (2002) Reply to comment of Pirrone et al.’s comment on Lee et al. 2001. Atmospheric Environment 36, 2276–2277.
Lee D. S., Fowler D. and Nemitz E. (2001) New Directions: The European Air Quality Framework Directive and atmospheric mercury: the wrong tool for the job? Atmospheric Environment 35, 5855–5857.
Lee D. S., Nemitz E., Fowler D. and Kingdon (2001) Modelling atmospheric mercury transport and deposition across Europe and the U.K. Atmospheric Environment 35, 5455–5466.
Driejana, Raper D. W., Lee D. S., Kingdon R. D., and Gee I. L. (2001). Wet deposition to an upland area of England in 1988 and 1999: measurements and modelling. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 130, 1625–1630.
Driejana, Lee D. S., Kingdon R. D., Raper D. W. and Gee I. L. (2001) Modelling acidic deposition in the United Kingdom at a scale of 5 km by 5 km. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 130, 319–324.
Lee D. S. and Kingdon R. D. (2001) Modelling the UK reduced nitrogen budget. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 26, 819–824.
Lee D. S. and Kingdon R. D. (2001) Modelling long-term trends in UK sulphur deposition. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 26, 813–817.
Phillips V. R., Lee D. S., Scholtens R., Garland J. A. and Sneath R. W. (2001) A review of methods for measuring emission rates of ammonia from livestock buildings and slurry or manure stores. Part 2 monitoring flux rates, concentrations and air flow rates. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research 78, 1–14.
Phillips V. R., Scholtens R., Lee D. S., Garland J. A. and Sneath R. W. (2000) A review of methods for measuring emission rates of ammonia from livestock buildings and slurry or manure stores. Part 1 Asessment of basic approaches. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research 77, 355–364.
Lee D. S. and Sausen R. (2000) New Directions: Assessing the real impact of CO2 emissions trading by the aviation industry. Atmospheric Environment 34, 5337–5338.
Lee D. S., Kingdon R. D., Garland J. A. and Jones B. M. R. (2000) Parameterisation of orographic enhancement of wet deposition from the seeder-feeder effect within a long-range transport model. Annales Geophyiscae 18, 1447–1466.
Lee D. S., Kingdon R. D., Jenkin M. E. and Garland J. A. (2000) Modelling the atmospheric oxidised and reduced nitrogen budgets for the UK with a Lagrangian multi-layer long-range transport model. Environmental Modeling and Assessment 5, 83–104.
Lee D. S., Kingdon R. D., Jenkin M. E. and Webster T. (2000) Modelling the contribution of different sources of sulphur to atmospheric deposition in the United Kingdom. Environmental Modeling and Assessment 5, 105–118.
Lee D. S., Dollard G. J., Derwent R. G. and Peplar S. (1999) Observations on gaseous and aerosol components of the atmosphere and their relationships. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 113, 175–202.
Lee D. S., Kingdon R. D., Pacyna J. M., Bouwman A. F. and Tegen I. (1999) Modelling the atmospheric transport and deposition of calcium in the UK and Northern Europe. Atmospheric Environment 33, 2241–2256.
Lee D. S. and Pacyna J. M. (1999) A European industrial emissions inventory for calcium. Atmospheric Environment 33, 1687–1697.
Cape J. N., McFadyen G. G., Storeton-West R. L., Choularton T. W., Gallagher M. W., Bower K. N., Lee D. S., Dore C., Berner A. (1999) Field observations of SIV in cloud. Atmospheric Research 50, 345–358.
Bower K. N., Choularton T. W., Gallagher M. W., Colvile R. N., Beswick K. M., Inglis D. W. F., Bradbury C., Martinsson B. G., Swietlicki E., Berg O. H., Cederfelt S. -I., Frank G., Zhou J., Cape J. N., Sutton M. A., McFadyen G. G., Milford C., Birmili W., Yuskiewicz B. A., Wiedensohler A., Stratmann F., Wendisch M., Berner A., Ctyroky P., Galambos Z., Mesfin S. H., Dusek U., Dore C. J., Lee D. S., Pepler S. A., Bizjak M., Divjak B. (1999) The Great Dun Fell experiment 1995: an overview. Atmospheric Research 50, 151–184.
Sutton M. A., Milford C., Dragosits U., Place C. J., Singles R. J., Smith R. I., Pitcairn C. E. R., Fowler D., Hill J., ApSimon H. M., Ross C., Hill R., Jarvis S. C., Pain B. F., Harrison R., Moss D., Webb J., Espenhahn S. E., Lee D. S., Hornung M., Ullyett J., Bull K. R., Emmett B. A., Lowe J. and Wyers G. P. (1998) Dispersion, deposition and impacts of atmospheric ammonia: quantifying local budgets and spatial variability. Environmental Pollution 102 (S1), 195–203.
Lee D. S., Espenhahn S. E. and Baker S. (1998) Evidence for long-term changes in base cations in the atmospheric aerosol. Journal of Geophysical Research 103, 21955–21966.
Lee D. S., Dollard G. J. and Pepler S. (1998) Gas-phase mercury in the atmosphere of the United Kingdom. Atmospheric Environment 32, 855–864.
Lee D. S., Halliwell C., Garland J. A., Dollard G. J. and Kingdon R. D. (1998) The dry reposition of ammonia to sea-water—a preliminary study. Atmospheric Environment 32, 431–439.
Sutton M. A., Lee D. S., Dollard G. J. and Fowler D. (1998) Introduction. Atmospheric ammonia: Emission, deposition and environmental impacts. In ‘International Conference on Atmospheric Ammonia: Emission, Deposition and Environmental Impacts’ edited by M. A. Sutton, D. S. Lee, G. J. Dollard and D. Fowler. Special Issue of Atmospheric Environment 32 (3) 269–271.
Gardner R. M., Adams K., Cook T., Ernedal S., Falk R., Fleuti E., Herms E., Johnson C. E., Lecht M., Lee D. S., Leech M., Lister D., Massé B., Metcalfe M., Newton P., Schmitt A., Vandenbergh C. and van Drimmelen R.¬ (1997) The ANCAT/EC global inventory of NOx emissions from aircraft. Atmospheric Environment 31, 1751–1766.
Bouwman A. F., Lee D. S., Asman W. A. H., Dentener F. D., van der Hoek K. A. and Olivier J. J. G. (1997) A global high-resolution emissions inventory for ammonia. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 11, 561–587.
Lee D. S., Köhler I., Grobler E., Rohrer F., Sausen R., Gallardo-Klenner L, Olivier J. J. G. Dentener F. D. and Bouwman A. F. (1997) Estimations of global NOx emissions and their uncertainties. Atmospheric Environment 31, 1735–1749.
Lee D. S. and Hayman G. D. (1996) A comparison of the emissions of aircraft and lightning, and their relative impacts on the generation of tropospheric ozone. Annales Geophysicae 14 (suppl. II), C509.
Campbell G. W. and Lee D. S. (1996) Atmospheric deposition of sulphur and nitrogen species in the U.K. Freshwater Biology 36, 151–167.
Raper D. W. and Lee D. S. (1996) Wet deposition at the sub-20 km scale in a rural upland area of England. Atmospheric Environment 30, 1193–1207.
Lee D. S., Holland M. R. and Falla N. (1996) The potential impact of ozone on materials in the UK. Atmospheric Environment 30, 1053–1065.
Graedel T. E., Benkowitz C. M., Keene W. C., Lee D. S. and Marland G. (1995) Global emission inventories of acid related compounds. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 85, 25–36.
Atkins D. H. F. and Lee D. S. (1994) Spatial and temporal variation of rural nitrogen dioxide concentrations across the United Kingdom. Atmospheric Environment 29, 223–239.
Lee D. S. and Nicholson K. W. (1994) The measurement of atmospheric concentrations and deposition of semi-volatile organic compounds. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 32, 59–91.
Lee D. S., Garland J. A. and Fox A. A. (1994) Atmospheric concentrations of trace elements in urban areas of the United Kingdom. Atmospheric Environment 28, 2691–2713.
Lee D. S. and Dollard G. J. (1994) Uncertainties in current estimates of the emissions of ammonia in the United Kingdom. Environmental Pollution 86, 267–277.
Lee D. S. and Longhurst J. W. S. (1994) The urban modification of acid deposition. Idöjárás 98, 87–106.
Lee D. S. and Atkins D H. F. (1994) Atmospheric ammonia emissions from agricultural waste combustion. Geophysical Research Letters 21, 281–284.
Lee D. S. (1993) The spatial variability of urban precipitation chemistry and deposition; statistical associations between constituents and potential removal processes of precursor species. Atmospheric Environment 27B, 321–337.
Longhurst J. W. S., Raper D. W., Lee D. S., Heath B. A., Conlan B. and King H. J. (1993) Acid deposition: a select review 1852-1990. 2. Effects on materials and health; abatement strategies and programmes. Fuel 72, 1363–1380.
Longhurst J. W. S., Raper D. W., Lee D. S., Heath B. A., Conlan B. and King H. J. (1993) Acid deposition: a select review 1852-1990. 1. Emissions, transport, deposition, effects on freshwater systems and forests. Fuel 72, 1261–1280.
Atkins D. H. F. and Lee D. S. (1993) Indoor concentrations if ammonia and the potential contribution of humans to atmospheric budgets. Atmospheric Environment 27A, 1–7.
Lee D. S. and Longhurst J. W. S. (1993) Estimates of emissions of SO2, NOx, HCl and NH3 from a densely populated region of the U.K. Environmental Pollution 79, 37–44.
Lee D. S. and Longhurst J. W. S. (1992) A comparison between wet and bulk deposition at an urban site in the U.K. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 64, 635–648.
Lee D. S. and Longhurst J. W. S. (1992) A statistical intercomparison between ‘urban’ and ‘rural’ precipitation chemistry data from Greater Manchester and two nearby secondary national network sites in the United Kingdom. Atmospheric Environment 26A, 2869¬–2883.
Lee D. S., Hare, W., Endresen Ø., Eyring V., Faber J., Lockley P., Maurice L., Schaeffer M., Wilson C. (2011) International emissions. In ‘Bridging the Emissions Gap. A UNEP Synthesis Report’. United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
Kahn-Ribeiro S., Kobayashi S, Beuthe M., Gasca J., Greene D., Lee D. S., Muromachi Y., Newton P. J., Plotkin S., Wit R. C. N. and Zhou P. J. (2007) Transportation and its infrastructure. Chapter 5 of IPCC Fourth Assessment Report, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Working Group 3.
Maurice L. Q., Hockstad L., Hoehne N., Hupe J., Lee D. S. and Rypdal K. (2006) Mobile combustion: aviation. In ‘2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories’ Chapter 3, Section 6, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Japan.
Department for Transport (2006) Project for the Sustainable Development of Heathrow – Report of the Airport Air Quality Technical Panels DfT Publications, London. Lead Author of Chapter x, Air Quality modelling.
Henderson S. C., Wickrama U. K., Baughcum S. L., Begin J. L., Franco F., Greene D. L., Lee D. S., Mclaren M. L., Mortlock A. K., Newton P. J., Schmitt A., Sutkus D. J., Vedantham A. and Wuebbles D. J. (1999) Aircraft emissions: current inventories and future scenarios. Chapter 9 of ‘Aviation and the Global Atmosphere’ J. E. Penner, D. H. Lister, D. J. Griggs, D. J. Dokken and M. McFarland (Eds). Special Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
PORG (1997) Ozone in the United Kingdom. Fourth Report of the United Kingdom Photochemical Oxidants Review Group. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Edinburgh (co-author).
RGAR (1997) Acid deposition in the United Kingdom 1992–1994. Fourth Report of the United Kingdom Review Group on Acid Rain. Department of the Environment (co-author).
INDITE (1994) Impacts of Nitrogen Deposition in Terrestrial Ecosystems in the United Kingdom. First Report of the INDITE Review Group, Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Merlewood, Grange-Over-Sands (co-author).
RGAR (1990) Acid deposition in the United Kingdom. Third Report of the United Kingdom Review Group on Acid Rain. Warren Spring Laboratory, Stevenage, Herts (co-author).
• Faber J., Behrends B., Lee D. S., Nelissen D., Smit M. (2012) The fuel efficiency of maritime transport. Potential for improvement and analysis of barriers. CE-Delft, 12.7525.26, The Netherlands.
• Holland M., Mann M., Ralph M., Owen B., Lee D. S., Horton G., Dickson N., Kollamthodi S. (2011) A marginal abatement cost curve model for the UK aviation sector. EMRC, PPRO 4/8/56.
• Faber J., Markowska A., Nelissen D., Davidson M., Eyring V., Cionni I., Selstad E., Kageson P., Lee D. S., Buhaug O., Lindtsad H., Roche P., Humpries E., Graichen J., Cames M., Schwarz W. (2009) Technical support for European action to reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from international maritime transport. Publication code: 09 7731 78, CE-Delft, Delft, The Netherlands.
• Faber J., Greenwood D., Lee D. S., Mann M., Leon P. M. de, Nelissen D., Owen B., Ralph M., Tilston J., Velzen A. Van., van de Vreede G. (2008) Lower NOx at higher altitudes: policies to reduce the climate impact of aviation NOx emissions. CE-Delft, 08.7536.32, Delft, The Netherlands.
• Maurice L. Q., Lee D. S. eds (2009) Assessing Current Scientific Knowledge, Uncertainties and Gaps in Quantifying Climate Change, Noise and Air Quality Aviation Impacts. Maurice, L. Q,, Lee, D. S., Wuebbles, D. W., Isaksen, I., Finegold, L., Vallet,M., Pilling, M. and Spengler, J. Final Report of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Committee on Aviation and Environmental Protection (CAEP) Workshop, US Federal Aviation Administration and Manchester Metropolitan University, Washington DC and Manchester.
• Buhaug O., Corbett J. J., Endresen O., Eyring V., Faber J., Hanayama S., Lee D. S., Lee D., Lindstad H., Mjelde A., Palsson C., Wanquing W., Winebrake J. J., Yoshida K. (2009) Greenhouse gas emissions from ships. Phase I report for the International Maritime Organization, Marintek, Norway.
• Kollamthodi S., Brannigan C., Harfoot M., Skinner I., Whall C., Lavric L., Noden R., Lee D. S., Buhaug O., Martinussen K., Skejic R., Vlaberg I., Brembo J. C., Eyring V. and Faber J. (2008) Greenhouse gas emissions from shipping: trends, projections and abatement potential. Final Report to the UK Committee on Climate Change, AEA Technology ED 43808, Harwell, Oxon. U.K.
• CE-Delft, Ecofys, MVA, Lee D. S. (2007) Technical Assistance for the Impact Assessment of Inclusion of Aviation in the EU ETS. Ce-Delft, The Netherlands.
• Faber J., Boon B., Berk M., den Elzen M., Olivier, J., Lee D. S. (2007) Aviation and maritime transport in a post 2012 climate policy regime. CE-Delft, Report no. 06.7153.59, The Netherlands, and Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency Report no 500102 008, The Netherlands.
• Owen B. and Lee D. S. (2006b) Allocation of international aviation emissions from scheduled air traffic– future cases, 2005 to 2050 (Report 3 of 3), data appendix. Manchester Metropolitan University, Centre for Air Transport and the Environment, Report CATE-2006-3(C)-3A, Manchester, UK.
• Owen B. and Lee D. S. (2006a) Allocation of international aviation emissions from scheduled air traffic– future cases, 2005 to 2050 (Report 3 of 3). Manchester Metropolitan University, Centre for Air Transport and the Environment, Report CATE-2006-3(C)-3A, Manchester, UK.
• Lee D. S., Owen B., Graham A., Fichter C., Lim L. L. and Dimitriu D. (2005b) Allocation of International aviation emissions from scheduled air traffic – present day and historical (Report 2 of 3). Appendices. Manchester Metropolitan University, Centre for Air Transport and the Environment, CATE-2005-3(C)-2, Manchester, UK.
• Lee D. S., Owen B., Graham A., Fichter C., Lim L. L. and Dimitriu D. (2005a) Allocation of International aviation emissions from scheduled air traffic – present day and historical (Report 2 of 3). Manchester Metropolitan University, Centre for Air Transport and the Environment, CATE-2005-3(C)-2, Manchester, UK.
• Owen B. and Lee D. S. (2005) International Aviation Emissions Allocations – Allocation Options 2 and 3. Manchester Metropolitan University, Centre for Air Transport and the Environment, Report CATE-2005-3(C)-1, Manchester, UK.
• Wit R. C. N., Boon B. H., van Velzen A., Cames M., Deuber O. and Lee D. S. (2005) Giving wings to emission trading. Inclusion of aviation under the European emission trading system (ETS): design and impacts. CE-Delft, No. ENC.C.2/ETU/2004/0074r, the Netherlands.
• Wit R. C. N., Kampman B. E., Boon B. H., van Velthoven P. F. J., Meijer E. W. and Lee D. S. (2004) Climate impacts from international aviation and shipping. State-of-the-art on climatic impacts, allocation and mitigation policies. CE-Delft, the Netherlands.
• Lee D. S. (2003) Aviation—atmospheric issues and research programmes. In ‘EC-NEPAIR, Work Package 1, Aircraft engine emissions certification – a review of the development of ICAO Annex 16 Volume II’, Appendix IV, Lister D. H. and Norman P. D. (eds) pp 199 – 211, QinetiQ/FST/CR030440, QinetiQ, Farnborough.
• Lee D. S., Sun C.-G., Cooper M., Snape C. and Wilson C. W. (2002) An initial investigation of carbon isotope ratios of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) emissions from aircraft exhaust. QINETIQ/FST/CAT/CR022048, QinetiQ, Farnborough.
• Rogers H. L., Lee D. S., Raper D. W., de Forster P. M., Wilson C. W. and Newton P. J. (2002) The impacts of aviation on the atmosphere. QINETIQ/FST/CAT/TR021654, QinetiQ, Farnborough.
• Lee D. S., Nemitz E., Fowler D., Hill P., Clegg S. and Kingdon R. D. (2000) Sources, sinks and levels of atmospheric mercury in the UK. DERA/AS/PTD/CR000114, DERA Pyestock.
• Lee D. S., Clare P. E., Haywood J., Kärcher B., Lunnon R. W., Pilling I., Slingo A. and Tilston J. R. (2000) Identifying the uncertainties in radiative forcing of climate from aviation contrails and aviation-induced cirrus. DERA/AS/PTD/CR000103, DERA Pyestock.
• Lee D. S. and Kingdon R. D. (1999) Modelling the UK reduced nitrogen budget. DERA/AS/PTD/TR990510, DERA Pyestock.
• Lee D. S. and Kingdon R. D. (1999) Modelling acidic deposition across Europe—Deposition in 1990 and 2010. DERA/AS/PTD/TR990469, DERA Pyestock.
• Lee D. S. and Kingdon R. D. (1999) Modelling long-term trends in sulphur deposition. DERA/AS/PTD/TR990468, DERA Pyestock.